7 January 2008

The Magic of the Cup returns

“I can honestly say the FA Cup made my career, I know what it meant to me and it’s pretty sad that people look at it differently now. But if somebody like Dave Kitson was fortunate enough to play in a final he would understand that it does mean something. When you reach the stage when you put on your slippers, you will look back and FA Cup memories make your career what it is. If you are lucky enough to win it, then that is up there as the finest achievement and greatest occasion of your career. The final and the build-up with the world watching is all wonderful. Not that long ago, it was probably more important than winning the League.” – Steve Bruce

“We are not going to win the FA Cup and I do not give two shits about it, to be honest. I care about staying in the Premier League, as does everybody at this club. Our Premier League status is not protected by winning the FA Cup and it is a simple as that. It is a fantastic competition and perhaps one day we will be in a position where we can compete for it but not now.” - Reading striker Dave Kitson.

The last time I got myself so excited about the FA Cup was immediately prior to a second round game at Springfield Park against Scarborough many moons ago (a game we won 1-0). Today I spent quarter of an hour huddled up against a radio at work, waiting to see the fate those numbered balls had in store for us in the fourth round.

Football’s continued (yet understandable) obsession with the lucrative Premier League, combined with football television overkill (our fourth round tie against Chelsea is on the BBC on January 26th, KO 5.15), have contrived to strip some of the gloss from the World’s most prestigious club knock-out competition.

Steve Bruce however has stated his love for The Cup, and although fielding a slightly weakened side for the win at Sunderland, with one eye on Premier League survival, must feel that Latics have a chance of winning their way to the final. With a strong squad, and other teams ambivalence towards the competition, it is a realistic vision, and one that as a Wigan Athletic supporter, I am happy to share. All we need to do now, is beat Chelsea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree! I am psyched for the Chelsea game.

Anonymous said...

Me too, I seem to have re-developed my love for this competition. I think we could go quite far.

Anonymous said...

Bring on the Chelsea!!!!