18 January 2008

Latics secure double signing

Latics have secured the long-term services of Erik Edman and Luis Antonio Valencia.

Edman, signed from French club Stade Rennes and capped 53 times for Sweden, is unlikely to get his international clearance through in time to make his debut against Everton this weekend.

"It's not often such experienced left backs become available and I'm not surprised so many other clubs were interested in him” said Bruce.

Latics have not disclosed the transfer fee.

Valencia, who was on loan from Spanish club Villareal, has put pen to paper on a permanent three and a half year contract for an undisclosed fee (believed to be in the region of £3.5million).

"I am really happy this has been sorted,” said Valencia.

"I have always wanted to play in England, and now that Wigan have given me the chance, I am happy to repay them by staying here."

No comments: